Wednesday, April 19, 2006

the last trip & short holidays

14-23/04/06
I did the last trip between Grenoble-Ottignies with my 14 years old clio 1.1L essence camionette. The comfort of the car is limited and some tiny problems were not guaranteeing to arrive with the engine on at destination. A new funny feature appeared during the trip. When turning to the left on the motorway, the sound from the right front wheel changed sonority... ups.. seems that a bearing was in trouble... I arrived home in one single piece although the weather was ultra crap the last 200km and I could not see very far... so it took a total of 13h to arrive! I was a bit tired...

Then the day after I had to remove all the gadgets I installed 3.5 years before on it... rpm counter, radio, timer for windscreen cleaners...strange fully it was much lighter when i finished!! Some parameters made the decision to sell this small car hard to take: the rear brakes , the fuel pump, the windscreen, the glowplugs, the Pt screws were almost new. On the other hand, the 7.5 liters/100km on short daily travels and 5.2 liters/100km on long journeys for 35kW (optimistic official power at 5200rpm) are not really representing a high energetic yield.


(the small engine and the siphon operation)

Just to have fun I told my father "here are the keys, want to try it?" The ugly guy just could not stop laughing during the whole turn in the neighbourhoods. Indeed, the strange noises and the elastic undulating suspension were as usual...crap! Driving his Citroën C5 before helped to remark the huge comfort differences!


(the last trip)

Finally, we gave the clio to the garage... it was 20 km from home. Arriving close to the place: a light turned on.. The signal that the fuel tank is empty... This was a clever precise calculation the amount of essence we siphoned from the reservoir!!
Oufff the clio story is ended now... apparently the car is going to Africa or recycling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My brand new old cool sky blue car is ready to go and so much more comfortable. ... I just have to carry it to grenoble...I said nothing about it to the people living in the same house... I want to see their head when I'll be back!!!

The photos are showing the tiny restoration i did before leaving and the new old blue car.



Apparently the Xantia does not burn exessively high amounts of gasoil which is good for an engine of 80kW (2.1L Turbo Diesel). I am estimating the consumption to 5.5L/100km on long trips when driving cool and apparently for short daily trips is turns around 6.5L/100km. So i should spare money due to the cheaper prices of gasoil in this period of high petrol prices.
To be honest the taxes and assurance are more expensive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had to help my father fixing the problem with the tv antenna! apparently a (or more than one) bird came on the external wire .... sat on it...did balance on it, did an acidic shit on it... result: it broke... that was very funny to see the apparence of the wire. and probably also me doing acrobatic equilibrium on top of a ladder. Now all hertzian belgian TV channels receptions are ok... and also the TNT works!!!!

2 comments:

Sofia said...

I want to see a photo of the new car heheh :)

Sofia said...

Thank you for the photo ;D